Sunday, March 11, 2012

“My Language Story”


Isaac Rivera
What is your “Language Story”?

What could be considered a language story? I try to remember my youth and go back to when I first started speaking and can’t remember a single thing. Which only concludes me to understand that as a baby, one just knows, or evolves into learning what language is around them. As the babies mind is starting to develop it is a complex tool, which absorbs everything without filtering anything out. I believe the brain of a newborn child logically maps and organizes each word or concept to establish a foundation of learning what it is encountering. As the child’s development beginning, one must be careful what is said around the child. In many cases one can understand if you curse around your baby, she/he will repeat that word. I have seen it many of times and laughed but did not understand it until now looking further into it.
            The brain tries to logically understand the word, and by repeating it and sounding it out help the development of sounds and speech. So as the child doesn’t know what it is saying, it tries to understand it what is said.  I can recall a time my brother and his child came over to the house to visit and we were getting ready to eat and as my brother was pushing in his chair, he knocked his knee with a metal rod that held the table up. He was so furious and bloated a ton of Profanity, but what stood out was the word “sh*t” and the only reason this stood out was because in the other room where the baby was being changed, the baby utter the word “sh*t.” Everyone started laughing and the child didn’t want to stop saying it, my brother turned red in the face and his wife tried to tell the two and half child not to say that. But of course the damage was done and the child knew that word meant something and gave them attention. So the whole ride home my brother told me the baby was in his car seat and repeating the word over and over. Of course I laughed but its very interesting not to look into it and understand a little bite as to why the baby cursed and kept on. I believe in learning a language, it is very important to make it part of your life. All interacts must be part of that language you are trying to learn. As in my example of the baby, he didn’t know what he was saying but was saying it.
            I can remember the time when me language came to play, it was when I lived in Arizona. When I first got there a lot of people looked at me and smiled and I really didn’t know what was happening, once I got enough courage to ask, I was told I have an accent and they thought I was from New York. I told them yes and from that time on I was called either New York or city. I didn’t mind too much, I was in a new place and getting to know people. I met people from all over the place, so when the next new person came all attention was on them and their accent and where they’re from. I understood how language was didn’t then, the people from the south east sounded different from the people from the south west and north and south on the west coast talk differently. As well as me from the north east, what troubled me most was when I lived in Arizona, I was told I have a accent as if I was from New York, then when I came to visit New York I was told I have a white accent (as if saying I was from the west or something.) this is when I stop caring about language and wanted to see more of it. This is why I’m taking up French and want to visit the world, I want to see the different languages out there and show off whatever accent I have. LOL
            The human language is different from animal language, in how we represent thing. As a animal I don’t believe they can say remember yesterday and tell a story, as a human we can do that and paint a story to a listener. Animals can show dominance and control but through fear the other animals obey. And what I believe “silent language” to be is, first it is different from sign language because words are being spoken through a sign and would be then called a sign language, so a silent language must be a type of body language. For example a hug could be a type of silent language, showing love, or a wink can mean many things: the person is cute, a deal is made or broken. Silent language has to be the gestures made with the body.  



4 comments:

  1. I'm curious when you write, "what troubled me most was when I lived in Arizona, I was told I have a accent as if I was from New York, then when I came to visit New York I was told I have a white accent (as if saying I was from the west or something.) this is when I stop caring about language and wanted to see more of it." Do you mean that's when you started caring about language? It seems you're really curious about it now.
    That's a great story about your nephew saying sh*t, knowing that it means something important because everyone is trying to get him to stop saying it! It's funny (or powerful!) how this sounds can be combined to form words that communicate such intense meaning. (My German professor told me, "Never swear in a language other than your own. You can never "feel" the intensity of its effect on native speakers." I think there's a lot of truth to that.
    Looking forward to reading more! And to see how you confirm or revise your hypotheses about language as the semester continues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What bothered me was the inconsistence, one group of friends in New York said my accent changed like I'm an Arizonian now, then when I went back to Arizona they couldn't stop telling me how my New York accent was deep. so I stopped caring what they thought and started wondering about how many other people go through the same thing and wanted to travel and see the different type of languages out there. In fact I am very curious to language and how it works. Thats why I feel the reading are really cool and how they go back to the beginning and try to decode it. It's nice to see other people wanted an answer to why is this word this or that word that, or how does it work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't sweat the accent thing, I remember I met a girl in a concert and she had an accent I couldn't put my finger on. She had what seemed to have a southern accent but with a unique twist to it. I asked her about it and how nice it is and was flattered. Turns out she was born in Australia and moved to the south (U.S) when she was little. The mixture of both accents is interesting and figured we adapt to the language environment around us. Maybe you don't have a Arizonian accent or a New York accent, but a hybrid of both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I noticed that you've mentioned about the body language in the last paragraph, I'm really interested in it. I've read lots of researches about it. They said 70% of our language we use everyday is body language-kind of silent language. Even if someone was born in damaged,was not able to talk, one still could communicate with others without any obstacles.
    And the story about the baby, I strongly agreed that. Because when I came here I was like a baby who just began to learn a new language.
    I thought it was because when a baby was under three years old, the brain started brain planning. So during that time, a baby is easy to accept and understand a new language. Scientists announced that when a baby get to know new languages at that time, although they may confused about the meanings or pronunciations, they would never forget it in the rest of their lives.
    And the professor told us to write something about the plans that how to improve our English. I think there is no shortcut. Don't try to find impossible shortcut, there is no cheap. So the only way I think we should do, is to practice,practice and practice, whatever helps your improvement. Such as novels, Dramas, TV Shows,,,
    I will so appreciate if you can give me any advice.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete